Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Hangin' With The Daughters Again


Crap.  Where did you guys go?  I blog about my vacation for a week, miss a couple of days and you drop off the planet.  I'm feeling a little insecure.  Oh, well.  Here goes.

The Daughters of the Utah Pioneers is up and running again.  I exaggerate when I say "running" as I am probably among the younger middle-ager members.  Harriett is 94 and there are others who run a close second.

But I can't explain why I like them so much.  It's not what you think.  It's not because I'm old because I don't feel old.  It seems to be because those of them who have lived so long with their brains intact seem to value life and everything about it.  They care about their ancestry, but also their families who are alive today.  And they care alot about each other.  They are also pretty funny sometimes.  Funny in a good, laugh-inducing way.

Today we talked about pioneer physicians.  It was pretty interesting, but it was really interesting and also fun when these near-one-hundred-year-old ladies laughed and talked about what went on during those waning years of the craziness of lobelia-taking, coffee-enema-having sick people.

They may not understand the technologies of today, but those things aren't especially interesting to many except for geeks, (of which I'm kinda one.)  Knowledge of Pop culture is pretty shallow, too.

I like these women alot, I think, because of their values, their information, their wisdom and really, it's because they really are "Old School", which they show is definitely a good thing.  They may not be too fast, but their feet are definitely solidly "on the ground."





1 comment:

Sandi said...

HAHA!!! You make me laugh! I've been lurking on your blog again! SORRY! I do enjoy it, though! And just remember...grow old is mandatory, but growing up is optional!!! So there!