Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Madness and Compulsive Projects

I always thought that I wasn't smacked at all with the mighty family OCD brush until one day when I was talking with brother Scott and he asked "Do you count?"

"Of course I count."

But I knew what he meant.  He meant do you count the steps you take?  The times the shower cleaner machine beeps?  The times you scratch an itch?  Shut up Scott.

I got a little compulsive tonight.  I put my old CDs on my IPhone knowing that I'd not missed them much.  Yet I went through them all, not missing a one, not missing a song since I was unable to eliminate any.  I got through about half and neatly marked the perfect spot to stop and begin again the next time I begin again.

I couldn't bring myself to forget any either so I go from "Alley Oop" to "24 Hours of Loneliness" so far.  No one will be able to stand to listen to my music with me.  Who can stand to listen to a CD straight through without skipping.  No one CD has a complete selection of gems.  Not even "Pet Sounds".

I've got Simon and Garfunkle, The White Album, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, Janis Joplin, Eric Clapton, John Coltrane, and more.  Plenty of good ones, and I'm less than half way through.

When will I finish up?  Who knows?  Maybe tomorrow, maybe never.  When will I listen to any of it?  Maybe tomorrow maybe never.  But at least I've devoted (wasted) three (or more) hours (that I'll never get back) doing something that is important (to no one) in the course of human events.


4 comments:

Annie said...

OCD, that's his answer to everything! lol

I only own a handful of CDs. I'm a radio girl, it's free!

Wendy said...

3 Cheers for OCD - that's 1, 2, 3

Bonnie said...

Linda what you are having is a Monk Moment! Okay some Monk Hours! I've had my share!

Steve Carter said...

Just checked my iPod: 275 albums, 3163 songs. It would take me 9.7 days @24 hrs per day to get through all of them.