Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sudoku Sucks


That's it. I've gotta get this off my chest. I've had it with my Sudoku Iphone app.

I was careful, slow and methodical at first. All the things that my father recomended I be. And I thought I was doing things right. I would look at the possibilities, discount some and employ others. But I never engaged in risky behavior. No, not me. I always was sure of my numbers. And I remained in the bottom 25 per cent of players for most of the time.

Then I got sick of doing things right. I started losing patience. I started getting wild. My fingers started moving faster in merry abandon. If I'd make a mistake, I'd hastily change it. If that was wrong, I'd just blithely change it again, and again and again if necessary.

Then -- you guessed it -- my scores started to come up. I first got 67 per cent and couldn't believe my eyes. It didn't seem I was moving that much faster. Then 81 per cent, 84 per cent and on and on. When would the madness stop?

Then on August 15, I sat on the couch and didn't move. I got 92 per cent, then 93, 94, 96 and finally 97 per cent. Not in a row of course, but it was amazing. Then it suddenly occurred to me. Sudoku isn't an intelligent game that requires impeccable precision. All it cares about is raw speed and mistakes can mount up like cord wood so long as you're speedy at correcting them.

And what kind of a message is that giving to us young girls!?!?!? I've not played since. And I'm not playing again if it doesn't have more integrity than that.