Monday, April 19, 2010

James 1:5 - The Life Changer

A simple, straight-forward statement from the Bible has changed me more than once and yet I still find it more than amazing:  "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."


I'm changed because I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of of Latter-day Saints.  That Church came into existence because of that scripture.  But I'm changed far more because of it.  


I'm still astounded every time I do ask for wisdom and do get it though even though I go about it with great expectations.  It's amazing.  I've used it as a mother, as a wife, as an individual, as a teacher, as a friend, in all walks of life.  I've used it all through the years, and often.


Asking for wisdom is lots different than asking for things, changes, people.  It's so much easier and happens in the moment.  It really does.  It often really does.  


And yesterday, in his mission farewell talk as he and his wife Marci embark on a mission to Manchester England for the LDS Church, my brother, Mark Cannon,  spoke of this scripture again and the spirit boiled around me.  I wanted to stand up and shout "Hallelujah", (though I know how much trouble I'd be in if I did that.)  I just wonder how many people really know how meaningful and literal that scripture is?


We've talked through the years, Mark and I, and I've often wanted to hear how he talked to his congregation when he was their bishop.  We would talk about the amazing promises in the Gospel, including this one and how he always had such urgency to get those people moving on such promises of the Gospel.  And today I got that chance to hear him.  


Did they believe him again today?  I sure did.  And again I'm planning to use this amazing verse, because I know it works.  Today, tomorrow, again and again.  It seems almost too easy, but it's not.  It's just easy.  I have a testimony of that.  It's happened so many times I'm almost fearless to act upon anything I learn.  Almost.  Wish I could tell you I was absolutely there, but I guess that's what I'm trying to say.  I'm still so astounded by the whole thing that I'm still left breathless.  











No comments: