Thursday, April 1, 2010

Looking Towards the Women of the World

I'm killing myself.  I am listening to Half the Sky on Audiobook written by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, a husband and wife.  But it may be as important an endeavor as I've done in a long time.

It's the story of women in third-world countries and the terrible plight that often they're in; sex-trafficking, prostitution, terrible health-care, poverty, violence, suppression, the lack of education and respect and powerlessness in general.

First it inspires me, then it discourages me, alarms me then makes me want to sell everything I have and do something.  Then I learn something more and I'm in despair again.

It is a story of how difficult it is for us, individuals and nations of power, to make a difference and yet it is a book that needs to be read because without this information coming to the fore, nothing will be done.  Throughout there are terrifying stories to illustrate, but there are also thrilling ones.

And as I persevere through, I'm finding hope.  The hope is not only in help monetarily, but from within.  And though I'm not finished with the book, I'm seeing the solutions coming as the book reconciles itself.  They come through education of both the women and men.  They come through changes starting from the top and from the bottom.  These changes are coming from within and from without.  These are coming miraculously and from simple things.

I'm not finished but when I am, I'll finish this blog.  But in the meantime, I hope you read it yourself.  It is something that needs to be read.  We need to know this.  It matters to our  futures.


No comments: