Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Great books that hung on in my head

Here's a great list of books that I've read at various times in my life -- some recently and others a long time ago. They are as varied as the years have been, but they share the commonality of being particularly memorable to me. Some I've loved without reservation, some not so much but still they've hung on. Recently I published the list on Facebook and I couldn't let it die there. Here it comes.

John Updike's Rabbit books
The Color of Water
A Marvelous Work of Staggering Genius
The Book of Mormon
Taylor Hartman's Color Code
Confederacy of Dunces
To Kill a Mockingbird
Of Mice and Men
Tess of the D'Ubervilles
Silas Marner
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Catcher in the Rye and Franny and Zooey
Year of Magical Thinking
Angela's Ashes
A Prayer for Owen Meany
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
The Chosen
All the Pretty Horses
The World According to Garp
I know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Great Gatsby
Shipping News
Gone With the Wind
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Poisonwood Bible


2 comments:

Charlynn said...

Okay, so now I have a whole bunch more books to add to my "to-read" list. Glad to hear you are liking retirement. Come check out our blog!

Charlynn

Wendy said...

I tried to leave this for you on facebook - but I'm a bit of an idiot on remembering where to write things,...anyway Have you read any of these?

Gap Creek
The Bean Trees
Stones from the River
The Hearth & Eagle
The Glass Castle