Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Thanks, Mr. Kilgore


A really terrific member of the “greatest generation” has died. Eddie Kilgore, aged 88, passed away on April 18, 2009. I didn’t know him as well as I should have, but what I knew of him, I liked. He was a lifelong friend along with his wife, Bernice, of my parents, Ben and Helen Cannon. I guess that’s a big part of what I really liked about him -- whoever liked my mom and dad and whomever my mom and dad liked, has got to be pretty good. He’d also been through WW2 with so many of his pals, including with my Dad, earning the Bronze Star. And perhaps, something that speaks the very best about him is that he loved his wife, showing it every step of the way, until the end of his life. The world is poorer without him and I only wish that I’d stopped by to see him and Bernice more often. The last time I saw him was at the funeral of their mutual friend, Doris Mortenson, who had been the widow of Joe Mortensen, for over forty years. He, Bernice and I sat together. They felt like the last of the Mohicans. Those who remain of this great group may not see us as really up to their usual standards, but I think we could still be better friends. There have just not been enough great old stories told yet.

No comments: