Friday, July 24, 2009

Today's the 24th!


"We drink from wells we did not dig,
We live in houses we did not build."

It occurs to me endlessly as I watch houses going up out here in Daybreak almost overnight how much we depend on others to do things that would take us forever to do by ourselves if we could do if at all. Cars, roads, telephone wires, electricity, windows, groceries. Everything.

Blair Barfuss is a detective with the West Valley Police. What would it take for us to protect ourselves by ourselves? Put out our own fires? Thanks to the Fire Department for that. Deliver our packages and mail? Thanks Brad and others for that.

It's amazing to me to think that the Mormon Pioneers had to do everything from scratch. If they wanted it, they made it themselves. What a concept. Glad I'm alive today.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

I agree about this whole post! I'm reading a series about a family from Norway that emigrated here in the 1800's. It's amazing to me how much they had to do (there are 3 different series about this family: Red River Of The North; Return to Red River; Daughters of Blessing). Google these...they're definitely worth the read!!! Happy 24th to you!!!