Friday, September 11, 2009

Away From the Bright Lights of Broadway, We Find Aida!

Aida at Tuacahn in St. George was so much more than I expected.  The costumes were fabulous, the actors and dancers were so good, the singing was amazing and they actually had the Nile flood onstage.

Further to that, we were sitting on the front row, right in the middle.   I worried a little that I'd have to pick up my purse.   Carl is very, very good at selecting presents and tonight was our 43rd anniversary.

I was kind of surprised to like it so much because I remember when Aida first came out that the critics lambasted it.  Elton John did not come out of that one smelling like a rose.  But with some retooling, things are quite different now.

Actually, I don't remember hearing any of the music before, but it was still so good right from the beginning.   It usually takes awhile for me to get the hang of songs,  but I didn't have to this time.

Another wonderful surprise?  it was so uplifting and inspiring.  Somehow I didn't expect that from Rocket Man (I mean Elton John, incidentally), but that's what I got.  I promise.  We are always being entertained, but not so often inspired.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

I'm glad you had a great time and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!